Compartmental Resection - A Technique to Treat Advanced (T4b) Oral Cancers
What is Compartmental Resection ?
It is also known as En bloc resection or composite resection. Compartmental Resection is a surgical technique to treat advanced T4b oral cancer. T4b indicates the Tumor, Node, and Metastasis system where the tumor has deeply invaded the neck and head region of your body. Compartmental Resection is an invasive technique that involves the removal of the tumor and the removal of adjacent structures that might be involved in tumor infiltration. This technique of performing oral cancer surgery reduces the risk of leaving any cancerous tissue inside the body. The compartmental resection involved the removal of the following structures-
- Primary Tumor: The specific tumor in the head and neck region.
- Lymph Nodes: If cancerous tissue is found near lymph nodes, this surgery can remove it to prevent metastasis.
- Adjacent Structures: Adjacent structures include bone, muscle, and blood vessels which might be present around the area of the tumor. These are removed to prevent cancer recurrence.
What is the Function or Purpose of Compartmental Resection ?
Compartmental Resection is done to remove the tumor completely while preserving its functioning and appearance. It is known to be a complex process that can directly affect a person’s speech, appearance, and swallowing technique.
At Dr. Supreet Bhatt’s clinic, a multi-disciplinary team of healthcare professionals including surgeons, specialists, and oncologists ensures the best oral cancer treatment in Ahmedabad. With more than 8 years of experience and treatment of 20000+ people, Dr. Supreet Bhatt is an experienced medical professional who specializes in treating oral cancer surgery like-
- Oral Cancer
- Tongue Cancer
- Throat Cancer
- Thyroid & Parathyroid Tumor
- Nasal & Paranasal Sinus Cancer
- Salivary Gland Tumor
What is Oral Cancer?
Compartmental Resection is performed to treat oral cancer in the head and neck region. Oral Cancer is a type of mouth cancer that is outgrown when an ulcer is present in your oral cavity. It can be found on-
- The front two-thirds of the tongue
- The gums
- The bottom of the mouth under the tongue
- The buccal mucosa
- The small area behind the wisdom teeth
Causes of Oral Cancer
Oral Cancer can be caused due to-
- Consuming tobacco which includes smoking and smokeless tobacco.
- Excessive intake of alcohol can be a cause of .
- Intake of excessive spicy, hot, and smoked food habits.
- Poor oral hygiene and missing teeth can be a risk factor for oral cancer.
- Other risk factors for mouth cancer include a weak immune system and, a low diet of fruits and vegetables.
If you are looking to get a compartmental resection done, you must consult Dr. Supreet Bhatt who provides special oral cancer treatment in Ahmedabad.
1. Where can I get the best oral cancer treatment in Ahmedabad?
You must consult Dr. Supreet Bhatt for getting an oral cancer surgery treatment in Ahmedabad.
2. What is Compartmental Resection?
Compartmental Resection is an invasive technique that involves the removal of the tumor and the removal of adjacent structures that might be involved in tumor infiltration.
3. What are the causes of Oral cancer?
Consuming tobacco and alcohol in excessive amounts, following a poor hygiene system and low diet can cause oral cancer.